Friday, October 29, 2010

Harry Champman



Jackson Nieuwland October 10 at 12:55am
hi harry

its tom!

we went to school together

remember?

can i interview you for my blog?


Harry Chapman October 10 at 2:13am  
I most certainly do remember! How are ya?
Yes, but I will almost certainly have nothing interesting to say
haha


Jackson Nieuwland October 10 at 2:16am  
it's my job as the interviewer to make you interesting =)

can we do it through these fb messages?


Harry Chapman October 10 at 2:18am
Yep, however you like


Jackson Nieuwland October 11 at 5:28am
okay












we used to hang out a bit. now whenever i see you around we say hi to each other but i'm never sure if i should stop to chat and catch up. i find it kind of awkward. the question is: where do you see this relationship going?


Harry Chapman October 12 at 5:47pm

I'm a pretty awkward person. My default position with acquaintances is polite indifference I guess, unless they make an effort. I don't particularly like initiating things in case the person involved is like: this is so awkward, ew I wish he would leave me alone. Them making an effort is an indication that they think I'm okay and then I might respond. So this is a very round about way of saying, I see my relationship with you going nowhere unless you make an effort? Haha excuse my confused ramblings 
 
 
Jackson Nieuwland October 12 at 10:54pm
good answer. i'm the same I think. you have quite a sizeable internet presence: facebook, twitter, lastfm, tumblr, flickr, wordpress, maybe other things i'm not aware of. do you care to comment on this? do you use them all for different reasons? prefer any of them? i find it way less awkward to interact with people online, do you agree? 
 
 
Harry Chapman October 15 at 6:24pm
Sorry this is a little slow coming back. Had a pretty busy week.

Yeah I guess that's true. I guess I like to try different things to see what they're like - which might flow from some delusional impulse to strike it big through some new kind of media.

Yeah I think they all have different uses. Tumblr and twitter are more spontaneous and inconsequential. I think tumblr is my favorite - there are lots of nice people from Wellington, a choice little community. I try and keep my wordpress blog for ideas and when I've actually thought about something for a while rather than stream-of-consciousness. I normally don't create much on facebook/twitter/flickr, just lurk and look at what other people do.

Yeah, I definitely think that online interactions are way less awkward. There's no pressure to immediately say something, and you don't have to mess about with eye contact or body language or whatever, you can just relax and talk more easily. Admittedly, I have had some pretty awkward conversations on the internet. Those ones on facebook where it's flagging right from the beginning, and there are epic pauses where both of you try and figure out something to say. I'm kind of hesitant to ever start a conversation on facebook or whatever because I don't ever want to have the responsibility of keeping a dying conversation going... haha 
 
 
Jackson Nieuwland October 15 at 6:59pm 
when a facebook conversation gets awkward i just 'go offline' and hope they think my internet is on the fritz.

i think technology has trained me to be impatient. i was getting annoyed at you for not replying, which is pretty unreasonable. are you a patient person? do you think the internet effects your patience? ever write people physical letters instead of email? txt much? 
 
 
Harry Chapman October 16 at 5:26pm
Yeah I'm pretty sure my excessive computer and internet use has made me impatient and reduced my attention span. I find it really hard to sit down and try and read complicated/long university readings, my mind wanders pretty quickly unless it's engaging. Watching all those short youtube videos and constantly flicking between things on the internet can't have helped! But yeah, I like to think of myself as a pretty patient person I guess. I much prefer waiting for something to happen rather than trying to force it to happen, if that makes sense?

I've written a few letters to people. I have a quasi pen-pal in Boston. Receiving a letter is much more exciting than sending an email or a message on facebook. You tend to put a lot more thought into it, and then there's the anticipation of waiting for a reply. There's just something about emails that doesn't quite capture the wonder of letters for me. To think that someone has sat down at a desk, got out some paper and a pen, and sat there thinking about what they're going to say is so much nicer than the thought of them tapping at a computer keyboard distractedly.

No, I don't text that much. Being able to text is pretty useful, but it also is pretty frustrating sometimes. Like when you're trying to organize an event between unassertive people, and there are constant backwards and forwards over what time, where, yada yada. A phone call can accomplish so much more, so much more quickly, but I guess they've sort of gone out of fashion - I can't remember the last time I called one of my friends. Bring back the humble telephone call I say 
 
 
Jackson Nieuwland October 16 at 5:31pm 
my problem is that i don't answer the phone when it rings. i think this interview is going pretty well. do you agree? do you ever think about the meaning of life and shit? do you use much profanity? do you like the way i barrage you with multiple questions in each message? 
 
 
Harry Chapman October 17 at 8:52pm
You don't answer the phone when it rings?! Why the devil not?

Yeah it's going better than I thought it would.

I don't really think about the meaning of life that much. I think it's fair to say my parents have had a big impact on my idea of a good life. I guess I think that in order for a life to be fulfilling it's important to make a difference to the world somehow. I know it's not possible for everyone, but ultimately I think if you were to just seek out money for it's own sake and not make a contribution to the well-being of society, you're not going to have a very good/satisfying life? So what I'm saying I guess is that part of the meaning of life involves a responsibility to help out the rest of humanity somehow. Like, there's more to life than just earning lots of money and looking out for yourself, a bit of compassion and altruism has to come into it. But, then again, that's just my two cents. As long as you're happy you're probably doing something right.

I don't really swear that much. Not sure why? I probably need to let loose more and live life on the profane edge haha

I don't mind. It means the interview is covering a lot of ground quickly! I'm impressed that you can think up all these questions, I would be in a pickle if I were doing the interviewing. 
 
 
Jackson Nieuwland October 17 at 9:02pm 
i don't answer the phone because i'm terrified that it will be someone i don't want to talk to. much of my life is ruled by these kinds of unreasonable fears. you have a pretty good concept of the meaning of life for one who contemplates it so little. your parents must be pretty smart. do you still live with them? if so: plans of moving out? if not: what's the current living situation like? your idea f the meaning of life reminded me of something i've realised recently: that i am most happy when making other people happy. do you think this applies to you also? also you used to work at tradeaid yes? was that because you wanted to help the rest of humanity? are you still there? if not: why? do they still stock those fair trade chucks-lookalikes? i'd quite like a pair of those 
 
 
Harry Chapman October 19 at 10:29pm
Yeah my parents are really smart people. They both have PhDs - I have a pretty academic family. I'm still at home, probably moving out some time next year I think? The problem is that this house is really close to university, cheap, and it's the status quo. There's no pressure to leave but I'm getting a bit antsy.

Hum, I'm not really sure what makes me happy. Altruism is good, I guess, but self-interest has probably got to come into it as well.

I did indeed work at Trade Aid. Yeah, I just thought, here I am living my easy middle class life in a developed country, I should really do something for someone else because it's completely arbitrary that I was born into this position. I'm not sure if I really made a difference, but I tried. I'm going to try and give away as much of my salary as I can when I'm old and have lots of disposable income. The moral and political philosophy course I'm just finishing has been quite an eye-opener. But it's hard to be conscientious and to actually achieve anything - I don't really have any answers.

I stopped volunteering there when I went to London this year. And when I came back I wanted to get a paying job (self-interest trumped altruism haha).

They stopped selling those no-sweat sneakers a while back, it was a (admittedly ethical) for-profit company which sort of went against Trade Aid's philosophy I think. Also, they were pretty badly made. The ones I bought fell apart super quick ;) But if I haven't discouraged you I think you can still order them online haha 
 
 
Jackson Nieuwland October 19 at 11:57pm 
you successfully put me off the shoes. that philosophy course sounds cool. what are you majoring in? how long have you been at uni for now? enjoying it? made any good friends there? what's the story behind the london trip? 
 
 
Harry Chapman October 23 at 10:26pm
Oh my god what it's the 23rd of October! Sorry, I'm really bad at this replying to questions business.

Yeah the course is really cool. I thought it was a politics course to begin with (it's double coded POLS/PHIL in the catalogue) so I was a bit surprised when it turned out to be so intensely philosophical.

I'm majoring in politics and history. With a bit of economics, or at least I'm planning to do some more. I'm just about to finish my first half of second year. I do enjoy it, all my courses are really interesting, but it can be a bit oppressive sometimes? Like I know working 40 hours a week for minimum wage or whatever would be infinitely harder, but it just seems sometimes like there is a vast number of assignments and exams and readings to do stretching off into the future with no end in sight. I always procrastinate and don't do the stuff I need to do and then it weighs on my mind all the time and I constantly feel guilty. But yeah, gotta love that university! Oh yeah!

I don't think I've made very many friends at university really? I've just become better friends with people I already knew from high school. It's kind of depressing, I should probably make more of an effort to branch out, and like, expand my friend horizons? But all the people I know already are cool, so most of the time I can't be bothered. I probably should have gone to some kind of hostel instead of living at home?

My parents are both academics and went on sabbatical (work holiday thing) to London. I sort of just went along? I'm pretty lucky really. I volunteered for a Labour MP for the elections. It was pretty cool, she won by more votes than last time! It was good to experience politics first hand I think, studying politics you sometimes forget there are all these individual stories and candidates battling it out on a very human scale, dealing with things that might seem inconsequential to everyone else. Haha 
 
 
Jackson Nieuwland October 24 at 1:16pm 
i've dropped out of uni enough times to know what you mean about the oppressiveness of it. so it looks like a political future for you? where do you see yourself in five years? ten? twenty? fifty? 
 
 
 
Harry Chapman October 27 at 8:52pm
I like your photo. I have a tshirt with scream on it - it's my favourite piece of clothing.

Hmm I'm not sure about politics. Maybe? It seems like a lot of work, and politicians need to be really smart and think quick on their feet and charismatic I guess? It's like an impossible shopping list of desirable attributes, and I don't think I make the cut haha. Also there are a whole lot of people who lose out for the ones who make it. Pretty harsh.

In five years? I'm not sure. Maybe I will have finished a Masters or something. Or decided I've had enough after undergraduate. Hopefully I'll be remotely qualified to actually do something. When I think about what I'll know when my degree is finished it kind of freaks me out - because it's not going to be a whole lot more than now and I can't see how I'm going to have tangible skills or whatever. Hopefully I will have got out of my shell a bit?

Ten years... uhm I'll be 29. Hopefully I'll have a choice job somewhere. Something interesting, where I don't dread going to work, something that is making a difference in some small way?

Twenty.. hopefully have still have a good job, a good relationship, maybe some kids? God it's too far away

Fifty. Hopefully I'll be happy? And I will have achieved something in my life?

Thinking about the future is weird. It's hard to know if I'll a different person or the same, just older. 
 
 
Jackson Nieuwland October 28 at 1:31pm 
i love that painting. in terms of the future i believe that nothing ever changes. thanks for the interview, i had fun. last question: would you like to join http://lotsofsentences.blogspot.com/
 
 
Harry Chapman October 29 at 11:19pm
I'm not sure about that. I think things change. I think it's pretty much impossible to imagine what's going to happen in the future. Everybody in the 50s or whatever all thought we would be driving flying cars to work by now. I reckon it's the same for individuals - if you look into the future you're just going to be way off in your predictions. Think of all the unlikely events that happen everyday. I'm banking on things getting a whole lot more awesome, but who knows what's going to happen.

No, thank you! I had fun too. Yes I would like to join. But I'm going to need a little guidance?
 
 
Jackson Nieuwland October 29 at 11:46pm 
guidance you shall have.






















so it's cool if I post all of this? nothing you wanna change? 
 
 
Harry Chapman October 29 at 11:51pm
Yeah, it's fine to post everything!                 
    




http://howdystranger.wordpress.com/ 

3 comments:

  1. It doesn't mean your smart if you have a PhD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really interesting interview. Well worth reading. Well worth writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed this, that Harry guy seems cool.

    ReplyDelete